Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How Not to Use the Slow Cooker


This is not some kind of bizarre bouquet; it is actually a handful of hard-as-a-rock pasta. I thought I simplest tomato sauce."
might try to avoid dirtying another pot by emptying a pound of uncooked penne into the slow cooker after making Marcella Hazan's three-ingredient "

A previous attempt at pasta fagioli with elbow macaroni had been moderately successful, so I thought the trick might work again. I wish I had read this thread, which explains why uncooked pasta is not the best food to dump into the slow cooker.

There is a very famous book called Modernist Cuisine, which was reviewed in the New York Times about a year ago. The book talks about all of the scientific processes involved in creating "molecular gastronomic" food (the term has since fallen out of favor). Do you think a scientist could work with me on a volume about all of my disasters?

2 comments:

  1. I think if you paint the pasta green and add some ribbons, you might be able to recycle it as kind of a stylized Holiday wreath! Don't feel bad about your unfortunate attempt at using the slow cooker. I'm sure you're not the first one to learn what not to do the hard way.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds festive!

    ReplyDelete