Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You Say Tomato, I Say Let's Go Out to Eat Instead

So, I had grand plans for dinner tonight. I was going to make the Tomato Ricotta Frittata from The Italian Slow Cooker. The recipe simply called for chopped basil, grape tomatoes, ricotta, grated parmesan, and eggs to be mixed together and dumped into the crock pot. Simple, right? No. Nothing is ever simple in the kitchen of Cooking Whoops.

I'll spare you a description of my woeful basil-chopping, cheese-grating (I HATE grating cheese), and tomato-halving skills. Let's just say I successfully transferred the mixture into my Cuisinart Multi-Cooker. The frittata was supposed to cook for 60 to 75 minutes on High. For some reason, it still looked like liquid eggs after an hour.

At this point, I received a text inquiring whether my family would like to go out for Indian food. Food is always better in good company (and always better when it's not at my house), so our consensus was that we should indeed go out to dinner with our friend.

This turned out to be the best decision we could have made. When we got home, I unplugged the slow cooker and started emptying out the contents onto a plate. I'd worked so hard on that cup of grated parmesan and was wondering about the results.

I took one bite of the frittata and cringed. Not only was the basil unappetizingly black (I guess I left this thing in the slow cooker for too long, but isn't that the point?) but the frittata had an overwhelmingly acrid flavor. Upon closer inspection, this horrible sourness seemed to be coming from the halved grape tomatoes. I decided to try one of the raw ones, and indeed, they were the culprit. Moral of the story: always taste the raw tomatoes before deciding to use them. Or, just go out for Indian food.

1 comment:

  1. My dad makes a simple frittata by beating a few eggs with grated parmesan mixed in (plus you could also add a few drops of milk) and just frying the mixture in a pan until it gets browned on each side and fluffy looking. Simple but delicious.

    ReplyDelete