Monday, December 26, 2011

The Worst Apple Crisp in the World

I can't figure out exactly why this is so stomach-turning. Maybe it's because I melted the butter in the microwave after reheating leftover salmon. Or maybe it's simply because once again, I had a bad idea and did a Google search to help me carry it out. In this case, I had a small portion of homemade applesauce (it was decent, if rather too lemony; I don't think it needed so much lemon juice). I was craving apple crisp, and wondered if I might not use the applesauce in the pursuit of this craving. One obvious problem is that I did not have much applesauce.

I came across a reprehensible recipe for a "quick" applesauce crisp using Bisquick, but I had none of that substance in the apartment (and probably hadn't since birth). I then found a traditional Betty Crocker recipe that used sliced apples. Since I had barely any applesauce, I halved the ingredients for the topping. After melting the butter, I had a thick dough with the texture of cement. Half-heartedly, I applied this "topping" to the scant applesauce mixture.

Not only does this "crisp" have an unappetizing look and flavor, it just tastes like... well, salmon in a lemon-butter sauce with a soggy crust and a touch of cinnamon. Someone needs to put my kitchen out of its misery.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure a little honey would encourage Liam to eat it up, since I imagine Zen would even without extra honey she loves salmon with butter. you rock darling.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should say it's actually a salmon-based dish instead of a dessert. It might work on that level!

    ReplyDelete