Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tonight's Accident Waiting to Happen

Note to self: when sifting or mixing dry ingredients, it is not a good idea to leave the mixing bowl in the sink while the faucet is running. I wonder how much water splashed into the bowl, because the batter was awfully sticky. The unfortunate,unintentional addition of liquid occurred before I was supposed to cut the butter into the flour (I was trying to make scones).

I am not sure why I was so absent-minded as to leave the faucet on. I could have been thinking about any number of things... our dishwasher is broken, and the baby didn't want to eat most of his dinner (I wouldn't either, I prepared it!), I'm procrastinating on a bit of freelance copywriting work that I have to do, and I hadn't adequately dried the mixing bowl before beginning this whole ill-fated journey. Ah well.

The directions specifically indicated not to knead the batter very much. They also said that if the batter was much too sticky, to add a little bit of flour, but just a little. I am not quite sure of how much I added, but I don't think it was very much, because the batter was the texture of glue when I dropped it onto the baking sheet.

I was supposed to lightly flour a surface and knead the dough ten times, but I figured I would just try to do it in the mixing bowl.

I just opened the oven door; things do not look promising. Stay tuned.

ETA: It looks like wet, hot, mushy oatmeal, smells like a dog that just came in from the rain, and tastes like pure baking powder! I must have not mixed the dry ingredients very well. Then again, those dry ingredients weren't very dry! Maybe I'll rethink those plans to bake my son a birthday cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment